We´ve talked about on earlier posts about V&V or Validation and Verification, from its definition (check out Being right and doing it right? – Validation and Verification) to an useful tool for ensuring Software Quality (check out Verification and Validation of Software). On today´s post, we are going to talk about Tools for V&V and as always, these are the topics:
- Tools for version control
- Tools for testing
- Tools for process administration of V&V
Tools for version control.
Version control is a system that records changes to a file or even a set of files over the time in case you need to recall any specific version in the present.
Git is considered one of the tools for developers in terms of best version control. Some of its features include:
- Strong support for non-linear development.
- Compatible with multiple systems and protocols such as HTTP, FTP and SSH.
- Efficiency regarding small and large size projects.
- Distributed repository model.
- Cryptographic authentication of history.
- Pluggable merge strategies.
- Toolkit-based design.
- Periodic explicit object packing.
- Garbage accumulates until collected.
CVS is also another popular revision control system. Some of its features are:
- Client-server repository model.
- Parallel development on same project.
- Maintains a historical snapshot of the project.
- Anonymous read access.
- Upholding different branches of a project.
- Uses delta compression technique in terms of storage efficiency.
- Excludes symbolic links to avoid security risks.
- CVS client will keep the working copy of the file up to date and will requiere manual intervention only when an edit conflict occurs.
- “Update” command to keep local copies up to date.
Tools for testing
Selenium is a testing framework that allows web application testing across browsers and platforms (Mac OS, Windows and Linux). This tool is useful due to the variability of programming languages such as Java, PHP, C#, Python and many more. Take a deeper look here.
TestingWhiz is also a testing tool with automation which provides various types of testing solutions such as web, software, databases, APIs and mobile testing, which helps users to keep control of maintenance, optimization, automation and cross browser testing. More info here.
TestComplete is a testing platform that offers various solutions with respecto to automating testing for desktop and mobile apps. Includes GUI testing, script language support, test visualization, test recording and playback. More info, click here.
Tools for process administration of V&V
Jira is a powerful work management tool for all kinds of use cases, from requirements and test case management to agile software development. An increasing number of teams today are developing more iteratively, and Jira Software is the central hub for the coding, collaboration, and release stages. More info here.
Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards. In one glance, Trello tells you what’s being worked on, who’s working on what, and where something is in a process. More info click here.
Notion is an all-in-one workspace where you can write, plan, collaborate and get organized – it allows you to take notes, add tasks, manage projects & more. Notion provides the building blocks and you can create your own layouts and toolkit to get work done. Many people refer to Notion as an “internal wiki” allowing teams and individuals to plan their projects, work and goals. Take a look here.